Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Michigan Spring Football Practice


This past Saturday my dad and I went to one of Michigan's spring practices. It was a lot of fun! At one point, Devin Gardner lost his mouth guard and my dad threw it to him.
During another part of the day, I had to go to the bathroom really bad but I couldn't find it. So I see this guy who looked familiar and asked him where Bathroom was. He told me where it was so that was helpful. But I wanted to know who he was, so after I got home, I opened up a Michigan football magazine. In the front of the page it was him! It said : David Brandon Michigan Athletic Director. So I basically asked the guy with the most power in Michigan sports where the bathroom was! That's completely normal. Here's some of what I learned.

Offense
  • Denard Robinson's arm has definitely improved! You can see this with how the defense acts around him in the pocket! The defense respects his arm and with good reason!

  • Michael Shaw looked really good! He was really slashing in through holes! I originally didn't think he'd end up being as good as his high school ranking, but he looks like a starter!

  • Stephen Hopkins is a really good power back! Except for a fumble, Hopkins did everything that was asked of him!

  • Fitzgerald Toussaint has great vision and patience. I wouldn't start him over Shaw, but he's still only a redshirt freshman.

  • Tate Forcier didn't throw a deep ball (longer than 15 yards) the whole time I was there.

  • Roy Roundtree showed his ability to get open on several occasions! He did drop a couple of balls though.

  • A new receiver, Jeremy Gallon, looked phenomenal in practice. He showed his agility while he was darting in between defenders.

  • Devin Gardner showed that he can throw the deep ball and can scramble! He did make some mistakes but he is the real deal!

  • The offensive line is very good at making a pocket for a quarterback.

Defense!

  • Obi Ezeh can really smack the brains out of people when he wants to!

  • The secondary didn't seem like a problem.

  • The defense is a force to be reckoned with! This 3-3-5 strategy is the real deal! There's a bunch of gang tackling going on!

  • With big Will Cambell in the center at nose guard it stops people from running straight at us! The offense struggled getting anything done until the defense got a little more tired.

  • Cameron Gordon is a ball hawk! This move to safety was a great choice!
  • The defense is good at stopping the run.

  • The secondary has amazing open field tackling!

  • Tackling was amazing! I was there for an hour and a half of scrimmaging and there was only 1 or 2 miss tackles!

  • This is all without DT Mike Martin.

No comments: