Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lifting update


I haven't had anything completely embarrassing or humiliating happen to me lately, but I realized it's been about a year since I posted how much I was lifting. So here it is.


Biceps: the trophy for all weightlifters, I always focused on these even as a little kid. A year ago I was curling 40 pound dumbells on the preacher curl about 4 times. Now I'm curling 60 lbs and if I use a barbell I can curl 170 lbs. I have definitely improved with biceps.


Pectorals: I was benching 85 lbs dumbells 5 times with a spotter. Now I can bench 100 lbs dumbells 5 times without a spotter. I haven't been able to improve as much in this area as I wanted to because my workout buddy stopped coming and with benching you really need a spotter. I also use to lift 237 lbs 2 times on the butterfly machine, while now I can like 287 lbs 8 times.


Shoulders: My biggest improvement by far. I never even really worked out my shoulders last year, maybe once or twice per month. Now I'm shoulder shrugging 100 lb dumbells 10 times! I could probably go higher but unfortunately the gym doesn't have any dumbells heavier than 100 lbs! My shoulders are broader and my trap muscles are huge. I take some pride in my shoulder strength.


Back: In pull downs, I use to max out at 225 lbs and only be able to do one rep. Now I can lift the maximum weight (315 lbs) 8 times! Of course that's when I'm fresh but it's still a vast improvement from a year ago.


Overall weight: Last spring I weighed about 200 lbs and I'll admit that a pretty good portion of it was chub. Now I weight about 220 lbs and I have much better muscle to mass ratio.

No comments: